Thursday 30 September 2010

It Never Pours But It P****s Down


After three weeks in the broadband wilderness I thought that things couldn't get much worse until Instanta's computer network server collapsed and died yesterday just to rub it in. But things were looking positively rosy by comparison this morning as Marion and I set off in bright sunshine to a lunch appointment with old customers who had invited us to see them before we retire. Three miles outside Southport the car started to drive noisily and I realised that we had a flat. I thought it would be a minor inconvenience until I discovered that the Prius does not have a spare tyre but an emergency repair kit that comprises an electric compressor which pumps sealant into the tyre and inflates it sufficiently to get you to a garage. Sadly this innovation, which I assume is designed to cut weight in the car, failed to do the job and I ended up several hours later with the very pleasant and capable AA engineer, Imran, who kindly took off the wheel and drove me to Kwik Fit to replace the tyre and then back to the car to refit it. Fortunately Tony drove out to us and took Marion back to the office where, minus computers, she helped everyone to prepare for the madness that will arise tomorrow when the new computer server arrives. At least I have been told that the computer data has been saved.


Most people have an urge to go an a cruise when they retire. We wouldn't mind doing this but it is not our top priority and our only holiday plans are to drive down to Ille De Re in France next spring for a cycling holiday. I really don't fancy going through that puncture rigmarole again in a foreign country on unfamiliar roads so, to hell with the fuel efficiency, I'm going to buy a spare wheel to take with us on longer journeys. Today we were only three miles from home and it was late morning. The same scenario at midnight on a French country lane doesn't bear thinking about. I believe that Toyota are not alone in not supplying a spare. I don't think that it's a great idea as I don't think I've owned a singe car in the past thirty years that hasn't had at least one puncture. Until now I've been happy with the Prius and this is the first negative but it's a big one.




We went to see"The Town" last night. I had very high hopes for this film as it has received almost universally positive reviews. Now it's certainly a film worth watching and if you enjoy crime movies you will probably love it but we just felt that it didn't quite live up to the fulsome praise that came before it. The film centres around star and director Ben Afflek and his gang of bank robbing hoodlums attempting to outwit the FBI's finest (in the form of John Hamm "Mad Men's" Don Draper). There are some great car chases and several violent and audacious heists including a final showdown at Fenway Park home of Boston's famous Red Sox. But for me the action was too reminiscent of old gangster movies and the Wild West style gun fights,the underlying love story and the sinister Irish mafia family led by Pete Postlethwaite failed to convince. Don't be put off, it's an entertaining film but, in my opinion, not quite the five star movie that it's been billed as.


Thanks to the well wishers who sent me birthday greetings yesterday. I had some great cards and presents (including enough cash to pay for the new tyre). But in keeping with the overall tone of the week I got home today to another card and a letter in the post. The letter was from the Inland Revenue saying I had underpaid £700 and the card? From some old friends (I recognised the writing) but the envelope was empty. Let's hope that next week sees an upturn in our fortunes.


Dave Wilson's back from two week's management training in Australia. He's picked up some great ideas on productivity. Here's the proposed new working speed for Instanta assembly workers as demonstrated by an Asian workforce.

No comments:

Post a Comment