Monday 26 January 2009

eBay Revisited. A Moderate Success


Having put a tentative toe back into the water of eBay selling a week or two ago I have been moderately pleased with the results. I sold seven items in total and all seven went for a profit although after eBay fees and PAYPAL charges it will be close to break even on three of them. The profit for the week was £131 and I suppose that for a hobby that's not too bad but after tax that will be less than eighty quid so I won't be investing too many hours in it. I've got another twenty six items to sell at the moment so that will be keep me busy for a couple of months.Although I will keep looking at antique fairs and auctions I will really have to keep my hands firmly in my pockets until I find something that is exceptionally good value. In the good old days when eBay was in its infancy some of the successes were spectcular but it has been a few years since I last found a "sleeper".

If eBay is possibly not a surefire way of making a few bob for fun, Betfair is definitely not. Having played around on Celebrity Big Brother for three weeks I managed to win £40 on Ulrika but then lost most of it on West Brom failing to beat Burnley. Having got my account up to £1,200 at New Year I chickened out of putting it all on Liverpool for the Premier League and drew £1,000 out and am now starting again almost from scratch. Most of the fund is now on Celebrity Dancing on Ice where I will lose on the two favourites Ray and Jessica but win on all the others. As for Liverpool for the league? I win £200 if they win it and lose zero if they don't. Having been to see the derby game last Monday night I couldn't whip up the enthusiasm to go again yesterday and a friend used the tickets. Let's hope that there's something to shout about next Sunday against Chelsea.



The lads in the factory are having a holiday this week so we are going to take advantage of that and put all the boardroom furniture in the factory and get the boardroom decorated. Lauren has volunteered to do this as she tells us that she is a great painter and decorator. We will put a photo on the blog later in the week to show that she is as good as she says. We're off to B & Q later to get some brushes, paint and Polyfilla.



By way of word association Polyfilla got me thinking (obviously) about parrots. The Observer gave away a booklet about the 50 top British garden birds yesterday and I was amazed to see that the parakeet is numbered amongst them. Apparently there are now thousands in the South East. Now if that's not proof of global warning, what is? Just think we could all train our own parrots. But how long would it take to train a parrot like this truly superstar bird?



Oh well, off to B& Q now.




No comments:

Post a Comment