Monday 5 January 2009

Great Start To 2009


Against all the odds we have had a wonderful start to 2009 with some great news. We had a health scare just before the break and, unbeknown to the rest of the family, spent the best part of two days over Xmas in hospital waiting rooms. Well today was our final trip to get the results and I am delighted to say that they were all clear.I always knew that 2009 would be the start of things going the right way. I am sure that if the appointments had been last year the news could only have been bad.

And as I write, even more good news. Marion just balanced the petty cash and discovered a £13 error from last month that I put right from my own pocket so it's been a positive start back at the office.

And to cap it all I turned up at work today to be told that I had won the bonus ball at the weekend. 26 of us put £1 each into a kitty against a number and if that number comes up as the lottery bonus ball you win the kitty. That's my first £26 since 2007.

They do say that good luck comes in threes. It's a pity I've had my three for today as I could have had a bet on the Blackburn Rovers v Blyth Spartans match. I had a small accumulator on the FA Cup on Saturday but was let down by Manchester City and Chelsea. Have started betting on Celebrity Big Brother but although I am in a can't lose position on Betfair, the potential wins are very small at the moment.

Surely today's good luck is a sign of the green shoots of recovery. Just had a look at today's order book and, whilst it is not fantastic, it is OK considering that everyone will be just feeling their way back into their jobs after the long holiday.

I really hope that the downturn has finally reached the bottom as Southport's town centre is starting to look like the apocalypse has just hit. We went for a walk on Saturday and there are more charity shops than anything else now on the world famous Lord St. Last week alone, two ladies clothes shops within a few yards of each other shut their doors for the last time and, of course, the massive Woolworths has gone closing everyone's favourite short cut between Lord St and Chapel St. Sad thing is I can't see anybody sticking their necks out and taking any of these buidlings on so we are likely to have that apocalyptic air hanging over us for some time yet.



I almost forgot to mention that Natalie is back from her maternity leave and it feels like she has never been away. I never realised how much I missed the back chat.

No comments:

Post a Comment