Thursday 18 February 2010

Happy Birthday Kirk






Happy birthday today to welder Kirk Harrison. Kirk turns 32 today and is in his eleventh year at Instanta. Real Ale enthusiast Kirk runs the biggest real ale group on Facebook with over 1500 members to date. He has plenty of other interests and is planning to start bee keeping on a friend's allotment in the near future. Apiary aside, 2010 promises to be a big year for Kirk as he tells me that there are also wedding bells in the air. He plans to marry Gillian his girlfriend of three years later this year. Congratulations to them both for that and congratulations to Kirk for today. Kirk is planning to celebrate quietly at home with a nice meal and a bottle of wine? (Wine Kirk! shouldn't that be Old Peculiar?)



Jen from Workhouse has just phoned to say that she has instructed the printers to start the press rolling on our new brochure. Phew. What a relief. It's been months in preparation and, although I thought we had loads of time our takeover caused a few late changes which have left me sweating on the deadline. I really didn't want to turn up at Hotelympia at Excel next week without any.Thanks to Marion, Liz and Jenny here. I asked if anyone wanted to proof read my finally approved proof of the brochure and they managed to spot several things that I missed. It must be a woman thing or maybe I simpy can't read properly.



Speaking of Workhouse, I had to chuckle at their MD Mark Jones' blog the other day (you can check it out
here).Mark was commenting on how people he doesn't know address him as "Mate", "Pal" or even "Dude".Mark suggests "Mr Dude to you!". I couldn't help but agree (with a knowing smile) after the teenage checkout assistant in Tesco yesterday kept referring to me as "Hun". "Hun!" what does that mean. Do I look like a fierce horse riding warrior (the Wikipedia definition)? And for that matter why do people keep telling me that they are going to give me a bell? I get this all the time and yet none of these bells has ever arrived as promised.



Off to Anfield tonight to watch the not so mighty reds in their Europa League tie against the near unpronounceable Romanian side Unirea Urziceni. I signed up for the season ticket for Liverpool's games in the Champions League but it seems that in the small print I also signed up for this in the event of them getting knocked out of that competition. Fingers crossed we might get knocked out tonight to save me many more trudges to Liverpool to watch the European equivalent of the League Cup. Mind you, it give me a chance to see my old friend Dave Haworth who joins me on European nights.

It's a pity that tonight won't involve a penalty shoot out. They can be good fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment