Monday 2 March 2009

Saturday Night's Colour of Money Was Brilliant

It's my blog and I can write what I want to . So if I want to start today by shamelessly hyping "The Colour of Money", the show devised by our son Paul and his colleagues, then I'm going to. And it doesn't need a great deal of hyping as, after the cruel sniping and derogatory comments that followed the first show on 21st February, the second episode on 28th picked up in the ratings by 13% and gained an extra 500,000 viewers. What a roller coaster ride of the emotions the show is. I was drained and exhausted as the credits rolled at the end having been on the edge of my seat as the final contestant Emma from Warrington played the game brilliantly to scrape a last gasp win. My hero Harry Hill had a bit of a go at the show in a very entertaining way and that was very funny but Harry, you (and others) have got it wrong when you start comparisons with "Deal or No Deal". Yes there are twenty boxes v twenty cash machines and yes they are coloured rather than numbered but the comparison ends there. Each machine has to be played and it takes a degree of skill and nerve as well as a bit of luck to win. The young lad who won £72,000 played the game extremely skilfully. I suspect that in weeks to come we will see just how difficult it is to play. Try it yourself. Play it on line here. At the moment I am on the leader board under my nickname LFCCHAMPIONS. And now that we are feeling better, here are photos from our "Colour of Money" party on the launch night.





Whilst it was good to see "The Colour of Money" go up in the ratings, I wish the same could be said about our sales figures for February. We took a drop of 13% in comparison to Feb 2008 but this was good when we consider that one major sector of our customers' turnover was down by over 26% which means that our sales held up or even increased slightly in the remaining sectors.We are sure that we are not losing market share so the market must be contracting at an alarming rate. Well, at least I've got my eBay to fall back on.



Which is what I spent doing this weekend. Marion was away celebrating our good friend Jane's daughter Louise's hen night in Birmingham. I had planned to go out with my metal detector but the weather was poor so I went to a big antiques fair at Stafford and then spent the rest of Saturday photographing all the stuff I've got. 270 photos later and it was time for Harry Hill and The Colour of Money. Yesterday Marion was still away so I treated myself by inviting my mother in law round to watch Manchester United on the TV (0-0 and extra time!)and then cooked her a home made pizza. Marion returned late and completely full of cold. I knew that traipsing around Birmingham dressed as bunny girls in February wasn't a good idea. (Just kidding).

I've just done February's Instanta initial management accounts. I won't be able to finish them for a week or so but despite the sales drop we should have made a profit so that is encouraging. Six months into the financial year we are still stable but it would be really nice if we could get rid of the bank's dreaded interest rate collar which is costing us almost £2,700 per month. No chance of that at the moment.



My team were absolutely terrible on Saturday. I was doing pretty well on our predictions game and starting to catch Nick up but who could have predicted a 2-0 defeat at Middlesborough after winning in Real Madrid a few days earlier? When I went to put on my predictions for the mid week games I just discovered that we are playing Sunderland at home tomorrow night. I have already made a commitment to play in our five a side so have given the tickets to our buyer Gav and his girlfriend so no doubt it will be their best ever performance and a 4-0 win.

I'll finish today with Harry Hill's take on Paul's show. Brilliant Harry (except the bit about Deal or No Deal)




No comments:

Post a Comment