Tuesday 24 August 2010

Feelin Like A Ghost Town




It's all quiet on the factory front this week as the annual shutdown enters its second day.We're using the time to prepare the groundwork for the installation of a brand new CNC folding machine which is scheduled to arrive next week. Our existing folder is pretty ancient now and the new one will provide plenty of benefits including neater folds, speeding up the metal fabrication and removing a bottleneck in the production line. I am looking forward to seeing this machine as it's a big investment.



Last year I blogged about the new mobile phone that I had just received and moaned on like a grumpy old man about the features when I only wanted a telephone. The phone gradually grew on me, especially as the camera was so good. But I didn't like the way that I kept finding it had connected to the Internet without me pressing anything (whilst still in my pocket), especially when Marion told me that I was getting Internet use charged on the bill.Anyway my brief honeymoon with the phone ended yesterday when the touch screen packed in. Someone here at Instanta said it wouldn't be a problem as I could download all the numbers onto a computer and copy them onto a new phone. I duly connected the phone to the computer but it wouldn't transfer until I had deactivated the blue tooth. And how do you deactivate the blue tooth? By using the touch screen. Aaaaagggghh. With the honeymoon well and truly over I tried everything to try and get the screen moving again (including dropping it from a height a number of times). After a fair bit of rough handling, disassembly and reassembly I finally got it to work for about thirty seconds which was enough to deactivate the blue tooth and salvage all the numbers. Phew.



Only two games into the season and Liverpool look to be facing climbing another mountain. I watched last night whilst glancing at a few football forums on the laptop. Those writing were questioning Hodgson's failure to use substitutes but if you looked at the subsitutes available you could see that he did not have many options. The manager provided the quote of the season so far in today's Guardian. When asked about the unsettled Mascherano "The danger of those questions is that I could give you an answer and if my answer is not 100% correct then all of a sudden I'm creating headlines. I have no wish to create headlines over the Mascherano situation." The headline above the piece "Roy Hodgson vents anger at Javier Mascherano for skipping defeat."


Whilst watching the match on Sky I also had a read of the newspaper (you can't really blame me, Liverpool were dire). In it the excellent Charlie Brooker wrote a brilliant piece about the "Ground Zero" mosque. In his usual, very funny and very sarcastic manner he destroyed the anti brigade with what is probably the most sensible piece written on the whole thing on either side of the Atlantic. To sum it up in a couple of words, "It's not a mosque and it's not at Ground Zero". Well done Charlie. If you want to read the article in full click
here.

Getting a bit thirsty now. Think I'll try some of that new Drench.

No comments:

Post a Comment