Tuesday 10 August 2010

Why All The Double Dip Recession Talk?

I got a tweet from friend and photographer Peter Raymond this morning linking to the Left Foot Forward blog which, as you might gather from the name, is a left of centre political comment blog. The article it linked to was full of doom and gloom. Headlined "Early signs suggest that Osborne's gamble is not paying off" the article went on to highlight the new survey that suggests that house prices will fall (not that bad if you are a first time buyer),business confidence is declining, inflation is well above target and the surge in exports has not materialised (despite acknowledging that exports are 11.7% up in the quarter to 30 June compared with the same quarter last year). And yet, as I have my daily look at my friend Mark Jones from Workhouse Marketing's blog, he is headlining here with the news that his business is showing 10% growth. We have seen good growth here at Instanta and the CESA stats reported the same for the catering industry. On the Today programme this morning there were reports of booming sales for Pendragon, the UK's biggest car seller and Inter Continental Hotels profits up by 22%. I am not claiming that everything in the world of business is rosy but, by only reporting the negatives, Left Foot Forward is doing a disservice to business confidence. If people shout loud enough for a double dip recession they will get one and all for the pleasure of being able to blame the Government.



Getting into Twitter and still enjoying following Cheggers (above). Whilst his funniest lines are few and far between it is good to follow someone who is so clearly upbeat in his views on life and making plenty of very positive comments. Perhaps he should blog for Left Foot Forward. He did raise a smile today with one of today's Tweets "Wife says I’m gullible & financially useless. Can't wait to see her face when I tell her I've won the Nigerian lottery"




Only a few days to the start of the Premiership season. I'll be seeing four of the teams' first performances as I'm off to see Blackburn Rovers play Everton on Saturday and then Liverpool v Arsenal on Sunday. This should put me in good stead for our annual entry in to the Guardian's Pick The Score competition. Perhaps I can offer a massive prize this year like £1,000 for the winner. As I will be retiring before the end of the season I'll leave our new owners to sort that one out! (Only kidding Chris). Seriously, if you would like to be invited to join in (it's totally free) and see if you are the Mystic Meg of the football forecasting world, get in touch with me or Craig and we will send you an invitation. If you were in our league (Instanta Sports) last season you should automatically be included again this year.



In another type of league, now that Craig is preparing a daily performance table for our sales team, he can't do any work for the sales people phoning him up every ten minutes to ask if there are any more sales. I never knew we had such a competitive workforce. I should have done it years ago and we could have had a trophy.

After all the publicity about the Newport video the other week, it was great to see the response from Goldie Lookin Chain. "You're not from Newport".



No comments:

Post a Comment