Thursday 12 August 2010

Spots vs Stripes

I'll change my conventional blog layout today and start with a video for a change. I first saw this during the ad break in Magic Numbers on Saturday. A Glass Half Full production, it showcases (once again) the brilliance and creativity behind the people responsible for Cadbury's TV advertising. I read about how they made their first big hit, the Gorilla ad, and understood how they came up with the idea of trying to get across the feeling of sheer pleasure associated with chocolate. The Eyebrows ad was mad but the colours of the branding came through strongly. Others have included the brilliant cinema released 3D Jungle Village ad and the still amazing (but I'm not sure so successful) recent Airport Trucks and Laboratory. But this one! Spots v Stripes? It ties in with Cadbury's involvement with the London Olympics and is aimed at getting people to play games but how it will sell chocolate has escaped me. Mind you, I suppose that if enough people embed it on their blogs or link to it on Twitter it will probably go viral and when it passes a couple of million hits it will have done its job. You can't deny its originality.



Now that Sales And Marketing Director Nick Neal has finally got an advertising budget he might be able to get Workhouse Marketing to come up with something comparable although I'm not sure that our budget would run to more than a couple of goldfish in a bowl for about half a second. If we follow the Cadbury ideas of doing things that only arrive at chocolate after multiple layers of lateral thinking, I could see a Robot Wars based commercial -Counter Top vs Wall Mounted.



I reported a new baby here at Instanta last week and her dad Lee Moore popped in today with this photo of his lovely little daughter Ellen Joyce Elizabeth. She's already got a lovely smile!



A few weeks ago I commented with incredulity on the theft of some bronze plaques from a war memorial near Manchester. Now it is reported that thieves have taken over two hundred brass tablets that once adorned the top of this cemetery wall in Bredbury Stockport. These little memorial items were left by relatives who scattered their loved ones' ashes in the area and for once I am lost for words.............

No comments:

Post a Comment