Thursday 26 June 2008

You can make an omelette without breaking eggs


Marion went out for a meal with her friend Jane last night so I decided to rustle up a quick omelette before watching the Spain Russia match on TV. As I got the pan out, the phrase "you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs" came unexpectedly into my mind. Always one for a challenge I decided to question this idiom and having pricked both ends of an egg with a needle I blew it oologist (look it up) style and hey presto egg white and yolk into bowl without breaking egg. So there's one famous phrase disproved in about 30 seconds.

"So what other words of wisdom can I question?" I thought as I cooked the beans and bacon to go with the omelette .



"There's many a slip twixt cup and lip"

Well I don't know about you but there's half a dozen of us in here and we get through about six cups of green tea, ten cups of tea and twenty cups of coffee every day. That's 130 cups a week or 6760 cups per annum and I can't remember one slip twixt (nice word that) cup and lip. So there's another theory debunked.

"Many a mickle makes a muckle"

This is just stupid. I've had hundreds of mickles in my lifetime but I have never been able to make a muckle out of them.



"The grass is always greener on the other side"

Looked out of the window this morning and our grass is definitely greener than that on both other sides.

All of which reminds me of that wonderful old show Catchphrase and the host Roy "It's god but it's not right" Walker. Speaking of Roy, who could ever forget this classic.


No competition today. We had plenty of attempts at yesterday's puzzle but once again ABC Direct of Blackburn came out winners. (We will have to handicap them but mind you as you have to place an order to qualify to enter, we don't mind).The topic of the day was the summertime. The song "In the Summertime" was performed by Mungo Jerry. Mungo Jerry got their name from TS Eliot's "Old Possum's Book Of Practical Cats" The boy in the photo with ET is Eliot. So there you have it. OK it was quite difficult but we aren't one of those TV Phone in quizzes "What is the Capital of France? Is it A Paris B Liverpool or C Manchester" Enter by phoning our "Paris is the capital of France hot line"

It's all quiet on the betting front. Having enjoyed the Blackburn and Chelsea manager markets so much I have tied all my betting money up in Big Brother now so will be playing that for a couple of months. Having to rely on Instanta BB fans for tips as I can't stand the programme. Will win £15.81 if Germany win on Sunday and £15.80 if it's Spain but my tip for the day is Mugabe in the Zimbabwe presidential stakes. You could put your shirt on it, but if you are in Harare you probably haven't got one.

Weekend awaits us all now. Have a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment