Tuesday 24 February 2009

You Don't Escape That Easily Steve





Shy assembly worker Steve Eyres somehow slipped my birthday net on Friday and thought that his 31st birthday celebration on Saturday had been missed. But he should know us better than that. So today we are congratulating him and wishing him belated happy returns. Steve was a slip of a lad when he joined us sixteen years ago. In fact he was still officially a schoolboy when he started (with the school's agreement of course). Since then he has worked in many departments and is competent in all of the assembly areas in addition to being an excellent welder. Steve had a go at entrepreneurship last year and set up his own business. Sadly the credit crunch took its toll on the boat building industry that he was supplying and we were delighted to welcome him back with open arms when he decided to wind his company down. Outside of work Steve is a keen coarse fisherman. Sorry we missed your day Steve but I'm sure you had a great time.



I have just got over a nightmare situation with my home accounts. I use Microsoft Money and have done so for almost 11 years. Somehow both my back ups went wrong last week and I was faced with having lost our entire personal financial records. Fortunately I traced a working back up from early November last year on another computer but I still had to reconstruct almost 4 months worth of transactions and it took me almost two days to do it. I have learnt a huge lesson from this.Back up to a new file several times and don't write over yesterday's back up all the time. It's a lesson that I won't forget in a hurry.



I have been over the moon with the messages of support following my mention on yesterday's blog that Marion and I felt flat after the less than positive critical response to Paul's show. "We all watched the Colour of Money on Saturday and really enjoyed it." is a typical response. I am really pleased to get this feedback as I was mystified by the unpleasantness of some of the comments.



On the work front we are approaching the end of the month with a very good order book but most of the orders are for delivery next month so actual turnover may well be down on last year. This will be disappointing as we have managed to buck the recession pretty well so far. Everyone in sales is upbeat about the feedback they are getting from the customers and I know that customers are delighted with the equipment so we must be doing most things right. We have to take a big decision on the biannual trade exhibition Hotelympia this week. We have been offered a good stand but it ain't cheap and we need to think long and hard before we take the plunge.

And speaking of decisions. Here is one young man who may think twice about deciding to cross the railway line after the barriers have come down.




No comments:

Post a Comment