Saturday 2 May 2009

Miracle in Southport


I had a moment of epiphany this morning whilst doing the washing up. I looked down at the chopping board and there in front of me was an unmistakable human face. Now in the past I know that Jesus has appeared in a currant bun and toast and Mohamed once showed up in a naan bread. Statues of Ganesh have wept milk and Irish Madonnas have moved. All of which I had scoffed at but here in front of my very own eyes was a miraculous image. So who was it that had come to me to make me change my atheistic ways in such damascene fashion? I could make a fortune selling tacky souvenirs to pilgrims from around the world. Some get Jesus. Some get Mohamed. But I end up with Osama Bin Bloody Laden. Anticipating thousands of Al Quaeda and Taliban visitors I dried the chopping board, cancelled the appointment with Max Clifford and put it away.



The big TV event of the weekend is the latest ad in the T Mobile flash mob campaign. Remember the last one at Liverpool St Station which resulted in a memorable horde of people dancing the mashed potato? It was a brilliant piece of advertising and resulted in the ad going viral with over 11 million hits on Youtube. Tonight at 9pm the new Trafalgar Square karaoke session ad is being shown on ITV. Songs include "Hey Jude" ,"Amarillo" and, of course, Pink's "So What" which I featured on here yesterday. Showing the ad during Britain's Got Talent will get them 13 million viewers but it's the 11 million plus on Youtube that will do the selling for them. That's 11 million who will choose to watch as against it just being on during a programme. Sadly for poor ITV, T Mobile probably won't need to pay for many more slots. Brilliant selling by Saatchi and Saatchi. I mean what other means of advertising would manage to get you free publicity on the Instanta blog? Priceless.

Stop Press. I just watched the ad and won't be embedding it on here. It completely lacked the vitality of the Liverpool St flash mob dance. Sorry Saatchis but this was a poor edit. Maybe they will redeem themselves with a better one. Or maybe Karaoke wasn't such a good idea.



If, like me, you switched on Sky Sports 1 HD at lunchtime today expecting to see Middlesborough scrapping for Premier League survival, you will have been severely disappointed. To say that the Boro were garbage would be an insult to garbage. Never can Manchester United have been handed three points on a plate more easily than this. Oh well they still need another seven points. Let's hope the Mighty Reds bolster the goal difference against Newcastle tomorrow.



As someone who is a pacifist and strongly anti capital punishment I have to say that my resolve was severely tested on reading about this man in today's news. Daniel Lynch befriended a young model and TV presenter and then subjected her to an horrific rape before getting a friend to throw neat sulphuric acid in her face leaving her disfigured and having to be fed through a tube in her stomach. Sixteen years in jail seems peanuts for a lifetime wrecked. Let's hope that someone starts a fund to support the tragic victim.



Shortly after tragically losing his wife William Roche aka Ken Barlow is leaving Corrie after almost fifty years. The only soap character to have his story line reported at half time at Old Trafford when Deirdre chose him ahead of Mike , Ken has had more lovers than most of us have had hot dinners. It hasn't done him any harm though and I'll be quite happy if I look as good as him when I reach 73. Good luck Bill. I'l finish with one of his most memorable scenes.











No comments:

Post a Comment