Monday 10 November 2008

All Not Quiet On The Western Front



Numbers have been dwindling lately for our Sunday old people's dinners. Marion and I have been cooking for our mums most Sundays for many years and we frequently invite their friends so that the house often resembles an episode of "Last of the Summer Wine". Anyway, with my mum in Spain most of the time, widowed neighbour Vincent otherwise occupied and Marion's mum Flo's friends away we had only one for dinner this week which should have meant a quiet Sunday. However Flo somehow managed to make up for all the missing friends. Fortunately it was Remembrance Sunday and we got the welcome respite of a minute's silence. In honesty mother in laws have been the butt of many music hall jokes but I have to say that mine is really quite nice.

We've had a few entries to the competition but I have been told that it is too hard. So I am going to make it a bit easier. Mad as it may seem, only one of the listed happenings is FALSE.

With the recession supposedly in full swing now we are bucking the trend and doing overtime in the factory today to try and keep up with the outstanding orders. We had 238 boilers ordered last week which is very nice. I am really looking forward to hearing what the government is going to do to help manufacturers like us because, whilst we are doing well at the moment, every little helps.



I was sorry to see Laura leave the X Factor on Saturday although I suspected that she would be at risk and laid my bets on her whilst the programme was running. This means that I now stand to win £65 if Diana, Alex, JLS or Eggnog win and just a few quid if it's anyone else. I don't share the world's apparent hatred of Rachel. OK she was bad in her youth but does that mean that she has to be vilified for ever? I don't think she's a great singer and for that reason won't be voting for her but come on everyone, lighten up, she only mugged a pensioner. It's not as if she left obscene messages on his answering machine. Perhaps she'd enjoy a Sunday lunch at our place.

I've been warned by a reader to lay off Daniel so I took his advice and laid him off at 90 to 1.





I seem to be far more successful betting on special events like the US Election, X Factor and Big Brother rather than football. There are a couple more running on Betfair. These are BBC Sports Personality of the Year and Strictly Come Dancing. Having no idea about sport other than football I had to look up who Rebecca Adlington and Chris Hoy were but, on the basis that I had never heard of them, I think it will be a pretty safe bet to go for Lewis Hamilton who everyone has heard of. Trouble is I can't find out who he's dancing with.

I have to make a mention of Sales Director Nick. Nick is currently in joint 32nd position against many thousands of entrants in the Guardian's Pick The Score competition (will we ever hear the end of it?). Mind you he was 11th on Sunday morning so this could be the start of a long slide. I've only got 2600 places to go to catch him up.





No comments:

Post a Comment