Monday 24 November 2008

It's A Jolly Holiday





On Saturday our good friend Malcolm Fryer came round with the painting for our new loft conversion bedroom. We are delighted with this large work in oils which finishes the room perfectly. Almost thirty years ago I was Malcolm's bank manager and he introduced me to the world of art and antiques. We have many items of furniture that we bought from Malcolm during his spell as an antique dealer but it is his work as an artist that we treasure the most and have five of his works in our collection to date. Although he has been a listed artist for many years it is only late in life life that he has found critical acclaim and success. He recently illustrated a book "Bugz Contact" which I understand is selling very well and he is currently working on illustrations for a sequel.It is a tragedy that his wonderful wife Sally did not live to see his success. She would have been very proud but not at all surprised.

We are on holiday for another week and hope that this week will involve less time at work as we have so much to do at home. Today we have been up to our armpits in mud as we had our occasional clean up of the garden pond. I planted two small water lilies almost twenty years ago and it was like "The day of the Triffids" today as we completely filled the wheelie bin with the mass of vegetation that sprang from those two tiny plants.



Still struggling to get the blood pressure down so I wasn't helped on Saturday by Rafa's decision to name Lucas ahead of Alonso in Liverpool's line up to face Fulham on Saturday. He then ratcheted the blood pressure even higher as he put Alonso on but didn't take Lucas off. I just don't see how something that is patently obvious to every Liverpool fan (that Lucas is crap) is missed by a manager with his experience. Our failure to win therefore came as no surprise. Although, as I put a bet on Liverpool to win BEFORE I saw the team I lived in hope throughout the ninety minutes.



I have been limiting my betting recently to the "Specials" markets on Betfair. At the moment I stand to win £100 plus on all contestants except Eoghan and JLS in X Factor, about £5 on all the contestants in Strictly, £12 on everyone except Hamilton in Sports Personality of the Year, from £5 to £175 on the Next Newcastle Manager but things not going to plan on IACGMOOH where I laid Joe Swash who has now stormed to odds on favourite. Win a couple of hundred pounds on all except Joe but lose £200 on Joe as things stand now so will have to start trading out of that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment