Wednesday 12 November 2008

A Triumph For Common Sense





In 1988 the EEC regulation No 1677/88 made selling these vegetables illegal but I am delighted to read this morning that steps are in hand to cancel the ruling on the humble carrot and around another 20 species of vegetables and fruit.Sadly tomatoes are still covered so you still won't be able to buy one like this.



As a huge believer in the value of the EEC I am not going to go on a Richard Littlejohn rant about the idiocy of all this but it does worry me how much time and money has been spent in creating and rescinding these rules. Just imagine how your life would be if you actually worked in one of the departments responsible.You would go down a storm at parties ."So what do you do?" "I write legislation about acceptable sizes and shapes of potatoes, carrots and aubergines" To be honest you wouldn't admit it would you? You would come up with some fancy title like "aubergine kink eliminator" or "potato knobbler". A fitting epitaph would be "He straightened your cucumbers."

I just read about the contestants for the new IACGMOOH (another special betting opportunity). I have to say that I have never heard of five of them but the interaction between Kilroy Silk and Esther Rantzen might be worth tuning in to. They've got Star Trek's Mr Sulu there so no doubt we will be hearing a new catchphrase "I'm a celebrity, beam me out of here". Martina Navratilova is another interesting contestant. She's hardly likely to need the cash so will probably enter into the spirit of things very competitively. I think I will start my bets by laying Kilroy. (pictured below after leaving the auditions)



I have just written the 70th Instanta Dealer Newsletter. It's all about the 2009 price list which is in the course of publication and will be in the post in the next couple of weeks.

Tomorrow we are shipping twenty pallets of boilers which are going to a new sports stadium. Let's hope that the delivery driver is a bit more competent than this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment