Tuesday 11 November 2008

Ex Tory Leader Wins It For ABC Direct








It almost goes without saying that ABC Direct have won our latest competition and yet another £50 off. I am beginning to wonder if they have a mole here at Instanta. All of the incidents related concerning our trip to Athens were true except the dining in a taverna at the next table to an ex-Tory leader. I am pretty sure that it was Michael Howard in the taverna (he was definitely in Athens for the match)but he was not at the next table but about four away. Well done Margaret. Next time we'll just send you the prize before we devise the competition.



Talking about football. Is it just me or are all footballers thick? We all admire people who stand by and support their friends in times of need but David Norris (above) of Ipswich would have been better going to visit his pal Luke McCormick in gaol or encourage him in his rehabilitation after he was imprisoned for the needless deaths of two young boys in an horrific drink drive accident. Instead he makes some ludicrous handcuffs gesture. This sort of gesture might be fine in support of a character like Nelson Mandella or Aung San Suu Kii but when your friend is about as popular as Rose West or Ian Huntley it's hardly the best way to make friends and influence people.


That doesn't mean that I don't have any sympathy for McCormick. What he did was tragic, reckless and completely wrong but he did what many thousands of people have done. Fortunately the vast majority of drunk drivers somehow manage to find their way home without killing anybody. I confess that as a youth I once drove two miles whilst over the limit. I should not have done it and have regretted it ever since, even though, through good fortune, I caused no accident. The problem was that I did not intend to drink when I went to work that day and drove to the station. My judgement was impaired when I got back to the car. It's no excuse. I don't know how it happened. No mobile phones in those days to call for a lift but I could have killed someone and would have had to live with that for the rest of my life.It would therefore be hypocritical of me to denounce McCormick despite my horror at what he did.




Which leads me to Paul Dacre the editor of the Daily Mail. He's been having a go at the judge who found in favour of Max Mosley in his privacy case. I have to say that I applaud Mosley in bringing this case because everyone has something in their life that others could criticise. Along with thousands of others I got away with my drunken two miles but if I had an orgy with several German hookers it would not merit press coverage (until Marion had murdered me). So why should anybody be interested in a public figure's peccadillo's? If anybody has anything at all on Dacre, we should know it now.

Oh well I have to go now. It's time to pick the football teams for tonight's five a side. It's getting quite difficult but now that Pete Barlow is a permanent goalkeeper I only have nine selections to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment