Monday 21 September 2009

We All Dreamed Of A Team of Carraghers




Oh how we Liverpool fans loved Jamie Carragher. Our rugged hero would lay down and die for the reds as he threw himself whole heartedly into lunging tackles and last ditch goal line clearances.Jamie was our hero and his spirit was such that the chant regularly rang around the ground. "We all dream of a team of Carraghers, a team of Carraghers a team of Carraghers". But I don't think we'll be hearing it again for some time because, after several shaky matches already this season, on Saturday poor Jamie put in the most inept performance of his whole career in a Liverpool shirt. Just two minutes into the match at West Ham he was guilty of dawdling whilst a young Hammers' forward took the ball off his toe and went on to miss an open goal. Not long afterwards Jamie pulled the same player down in the area for a blatant penalty and, later in the same half, was one of several players guilty of poor marking for a West Ham equaliser.I was saddened to see Jamie floundering so badly. He had the good grace to retire from the England squad when he knew that he was too old. With the pace of the Premiership so frenetic,unless he is carrying an injury that we don't know about, now must be the time for Jamie to do the same for the Mighty Reds. I know these views wont be popular but I have been one of Jamie's biggest fans and I don't want our dreams of a team of Carraghers to turn into our worst nightmares.



It's one of our regular board meetings on Thursday so Dave and Nick are busily writing their reports (I've finished mine). It will be interesting to hear everyone's views on pay as the annual review is now due. I hope that we come to a sensible decision - I'm sure that we will.



The mystery of the number of visitors arriving at the blog site using the search term "Nick Neal" has been solved. It seems the guilty party was none other than er... Nick Neal doing a bit of what is known as "Vanity Googling". It seems that when people have a bit of time on their hands they sometimes type their own name into the search engine and look at what comes up. I'm afraid that I'm too sensitive for that type of thing. I'd have to look through my fingers at the responses.



Oh go on, I just had to try it. I just typed the name Brassey in. When I asked for pages from the entire web I found the first mention of son Paul on page 24. Niece Lisa was on page 38 and where was I? Nowhere. 755,000 entries and not one was anything to do with me. So I narrowed it down a bit and typed in Brassey again and this time just pages from the UK. This time son Paul turned up on page 7, Lisa was on 11 and finally there I was languishing on page 40. And why? Because I write a scintillating blog? Because I'm an upcoming unpublished author? Because Instanta boilers are the best in the world? Because I was on the Antiques Roadshow or Treasure Hunt? No. Because I've got Skype. Exit stage left followed by a bear.

When son Paul devised the exciting Game Show 'The Colour of Money' for ITV little did he know that within twelve months his idea would have turned into a smash hit in Italy of all places where thousands are tuning in just to see the comical little bespectacled 'professori' offer words of advice on mathematical game play to the contestants.At least I think that's what they are tuning in for.......honest!


No comments:

Post a Comment