Tuesday 18 August 2009

I Can See Clearly Now



The glasses arrived from Workhouse Marketing this morning as promised and, after four days of struggling, I can see again. Forgive the lousy pun but it really has been an eye opener to discover how reliant I have become on my specs and the relief to have them back is palpable. I even have a new case for them courtesy of Mark and, if they had been in one in the first place I probably would have spotted when I dropped them.



Congratulations to Craig Buckley who turns 26 today. It is eight and a half years since Craig started in our office and he has worked his way from office junior through a spell in stores to our sales department. On 1st September he will be going out on the road visiting customers for a three month trial period and we are sure that you will make him very welcome. Apart from the potential career move at Instanta, Craig's 27th year looks to be the biggest of his life with a planned wedding to our Office Manager Jenny very soon and their first child on the way in early 2010. This will be the first wedding between Instanta staff for over fifty years and we are all very excited about it. Congratulations Craig. Have a great day. We'll let you off messing up the five a side.



I was talking to John Walkinshaw from our electronics supplier KLH Electronics PLC last week about our horrendous home electricity bill. One of John's subsidiary companies LED lighting solutions has developed this fantastic replacement for normal spot lights.The product is the first true replacement for MR16 lamps, it uses LED technology to provide the same brightness as a normal lamp and yet uses only 7 watts of power compared to 50 watts for a normal lamp. Its lifespan is 100,000 hours ( it will have dropped to 80% brightness ), around 30 years at 8 hours per day and will continue to work for many more years. It contains no harmful products unlike fluorescent lamps and emits a warm natural light for domestic use. We plugged a sample in at home and the OWL electricity monitor didn't register the cost. This is a fantastic step forward and we will certainly be replacing all our home spots with these. The energy savings will be enormous and the green implications are incredible.



I've got an appointment at the hospital this afternoon for the results of my hip x-ray. I'm hoping that it shows a groin strain and not the hip problem that the physiotherapist conjectured. The "groin strain" has been with me for almost four months now.It's not quite as painful as it was but it's taking a hell of a long time to go away. I'm not limping as badly as I was so, fingers crossed it's a muscle and not a joint problem.

I'll close with a song that not only fits today's headline but also comes from a great and very funny film.

No comments:

Post a Comment