Friday 14 August 2009

Those Weren't Just Glasses They Were Lindberg Glasses



Although vanity has precluded me from appearing in them in any photos on the blog, I have been wearing varifocal glasses for a few years. Wearing them is much better than having to constantly put on and take off reading glasses and, until last night, I was very happy with my ultra light, Lindberg Air, award winning, titanium pair. That is until we walked up a hill with Mark and Nita from Workhouse Marketing and they somehow disappeared from my jacket pocket which I had slung over my shoulder due to the warmer than expected weather. I am now squinting at the screen wearing a £3 pair of reading glasses from Tesco but I've got an appointment with the optician tomorrow. I suppose I could claim on the insurance as they are covered but in fairness to the insurers I was due to change them in the very near future.



Here is Marion with Nita on a hill above the idyllic Whitewell in rural Lancashire. After the brief walk we enjoyed an excellent meal at the famous Inn At Whitewell. Good food, good service, good company. Highly recommended.



We've got a week's holiday in the factory coming up in ten days time. This will give us plenty of space for our annual stock take scheduled for the end of the month and allow the lads the chance to play a bit of golf. It's essential that we have enough boilers in stock to get us through the week without production and, looking at the machine store, it looks like we will just be OK. We are out of WM15-3 and CH1000 but I can see them coming in next week keeping up our record of dispatching everything within our target of ten working days that we have kept to for every order this year bar one machine. Mind you 1500lcd stock, whilst good today, may not see us through to the end of the month as they are selling like hot cakes.



Which to be honest is a bit of a misnomer isn't it? How many times have you seen "hot cakes" for sale? And when you have, have they been flying off the shelves? I suppose that like many sayings it is something that has come from the past and has lost it's meaning. Oh let's be pedantic and look it up. SELL LIKE HOT CAKES - "Hot cakes cooked in bear grease or pork lard were popular from earliest times in America. First made of cornmeal, the griddle cakes or pancakes were of course best when served piping hot and were often sold at church benefits, fairs, and other functions. So popular were they that by the beginning of the 19th century 'to sell like hot cakes' was a familiar expression for anything that sold very quickly effortlessly, and in quantity." From "Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins" by Robert Hendrickson (Facts on File, New York, 1997)

With the soccer season starting tomorrow I'll finish with a brilliant move in another sport. This one, from a Bulls v Titans game is especially for son Paul who is a big fan of American football.It has to be one of the best sports moves I've seen in ages.





No comments:

Post a Comment