Monday 17 August 2009

Workhouse Marketing: The Number One Lancashire Detective Agency




When Mark Jones from Workhouse marketing (above) told us on Thursday that he and Nita would have a look for the missing glasses on the fells above Whitewell at the weekend I never doubted his word but, in addition, I never thought for a second that they would have any success in a search that I thought akin to looking for a needle in a haystack. So you can imagine my surprise as the phone rang at 7pm last night for me to hear Mark telling me that he was enjoying a pint in the inn and had the glasses with him. It seems that the specs were not far into a field and in clear view (which is something that I haven't had for three days). Having gone straight to the opticians at the first possible opportunity and ordered some replacements I feel guilty at having doubted Mark and Nita's chances of success but as the replacements are a few weeks off and the cheap Tesco reading glasses are giving me real grief I am also extremely grateful for their detective skills.




Mark's detecting skills do not extend to his football score predicting as he was confident of at least seven draws in this week's Premier League fixtures. And how many were there? Er.. none.In our Instanta league, machine tester Andy Fyles stormed to the top with a very healthy twelve points.Don't get carried away Andy, it's a long slog, a game of two halves and all that. One thing that does puzzle me however is how come people who didn't put any scores down seemed to end up with 2 points.




Apart from the forgettable ninety minutes watching Liverpool I spent most of the weekend redrafting my novel. It's on its third draft now and in many ways finished (although I am sure that it is still too short and could be improved).Marion discovered a brilliant website set up by Harper Collins to allow budding authors to upload their work and allow others to read it and comment on it. The books that are most popular get at least 10,000 words read by the Harper & Collins people. Members who register are able to criticise your book so I will have to be pretty thick skinned if I join. I do like the idea though and think I'll give it a whirl.The site is called authonomy and you can check it out here

Did you read that the government has released files on UFO sightings here in Britain? It seems that they are putting the surge in reports in 1996 down to the X Files on TV causing massive interest in the phenomenon. Here's a more recent sighting captured by BBC's Look North cameras.

No comments:

Post a Comment